Optimist Race Team
Online Registration must be completed and all forms on the left must be filled out and returned to the Youth Office for the 2017 Optimist Race Team
2017 Race Team Registration
Race Team Schedule
Sunday Practice Signup
Wednesday Practice Signup
Regatta Signup (Regatta registration must be completed through each regatta host)
**Order SFYC Race Team Gear Here**
The 2017 Roster - coming soon
2016 Race Team Award Winners
2017 SFYC Optimist Race Team
The San Francisco Yacht Club has the largest optimist racing team on the West Coast and one of the biggest in the country. As young Opti sailors progress and become interested in high-level racing, they may be invited to join our Opti Race Team. The Opti Race Team is a yearly commitment of $2400 that can be paid monthly in $200 increments. SFYC will provide coaching at all events on the youth calendar as appropriate. A minimum of 5 sailors must attend each regatta for SFYC support. Team members must use SFYC coaching at SFYC supported events and are not to hire private coaches. The Team events and support are outlined below.
Your $200 monthly commitment covers:
Boat Storage – a spot on one of the SFYC racks. SFYC Youth Director will assign the spots. Sailors are expected to customize and add padding to their assigned spot. Only your boat should be stored in its spot, no rigs, sails, blades, or dollies should be stored on the youth dock.
Bay Area & California Optimist events:
- Boat transportation and ‘on the water’ coaching at the following 4 events:
• Harken #1 at California Yacht Club, SoCal
• Harken #2 at The San Francisco Yacht Club
• Harken #3 at Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club, SoCal
• Harken #4 at St. Francis Yacht Club (“The Heavy Weather Regatta”)
- All Bay Area Opti clinics and practices, prior to regattas, when available.
- All practices with coaching at the SFYC on the youth opti calendar.
- On the water support and trailer driving to local Opti events (BAYS/Winter Series) when they do not conflict with events listed above.
Support at the following 7 state & national events:
*Rotational Regattas/2017 venue/dates below:
- USODA Team Trials (Summer Team Qualifier) – Brant Beach Yacht Club (May 10-14)
- USODA Nationals – ODU Sailing Center, VA (July 24-August 03)
- USODA Northwest Championship – Bellingham Yacht Club, WA (August 19-20)
- USODA West Coast Championship –TBD (August 06-07)
- USODA Pacific Coast Championship –The San Francisco Yacht Club (August 26-27)
- The Spring Team Qualifier (venue varies) (Oct/Nov)
- Orange Bowl International Youth Regatta – Coral Reef Yacht Club, FL (Dec 27-30)
Boat transportation and/or charters for these 7 regattas are NOT covered by SFYC, although trailer transportation may be provided at the sailors’ expense. There may be a $25-85/day coaching fee applied to these regattas when additional expenses are incurred.
Your $200 monthly commitment does NOT cover:
- Lodging at regattas
- $25-85/day coaching fee for regattas outside the Bay Area unless otherwise noted.
- Boat charter fees
- Transportation of boats outside the Bay Area (Except Harken #1 and #3)
- Registration fees for regattas
- Support at additional regattas not listed above or on the youth calendar
- International regattas, although practices before departure may be arranged
- Specialty coaching prior to Spring Qualifier, Fall Qualifier and Nationals may have an additional charge.
The San Francisco Yacht Club encourages Opti sailors to travel and race as much as possible. Expenses for major regattas not listed above need to be covered individually or through financial assistance from outside sources.
Parent Participation – Fund Raising
We expect all families to participate in our fundraising efforts. Our biggest fund raising effort this year will be a spring event with an auction. We ask for your participation in soliciting donations for this event.
Parent Participation – Volunteer Hours
We need ongoing help from ALL parents of the team. We ask that all team families help at Youth regattas that the SFYC hosts. In addition, we require all families to contribute twenty volunteer hours to help make our program successful. We have detailed descriptions of many of the ways you can help. If you have not signed up for a volunteer task, one will be assigned to you. Here are some of the ways that parents can make a valued contribution:
- Join the Committee for our Spring Fund Raising event.
- Be a Parent Volunteer at a SFYC hosted regatta.
- Drive an Opti trailer or coach boat trailer to an away regatta.
- Help coordinate travel accommodations for events like Team Trials, Nationals, WCCs, PCCs NWCs, the Spring Team Qualifier, etc.
- Help develop other methods for better inter-parental communication.
SFYC strongly encourages all race team members to join both the United States Optimist Dinghy Association (USODA) and US Sailing. These memberships are required at many of the regattas we encourage you to sail in. Membership supports American sailing on many levels.
SFYC youth page & calendar: www.sfyc.org/youth
Belvedere Cove Foundation: www.belvederecovefoundation.com
US Optimist Dinghy Association: www.usoda.org
US Sailing: www.ussailing.org
SFYC Private Practice Policy
The San Francisco Yacht Club advocates safe and organized practice for its Junior and Race Team members. To ensure these goals, the following policy has been approved and must be followed when practicing out of SFYC. All organized youth practices must be approved by the SFYC Youth Director in advance and in writing (email is ok). This includes all practices involving a guest coach, any youth guests, groups of four or more junior members, and guest teams from visiting clubs. Allowed Exceptions:
- For kids 14 years or younger, an adult SFYC member may supervise practices of three or fewer youths, provided all the youths are junior members. Advance notice to the Youth Director is required (email is ok)
- Youth members 15 years or older may practice on their own. Advance notice to the Youth Director is required (email is ok).