Race Team Development
Optis (Light Green)
Fall/Spring Optimist Light Green Program
The SFYC Light Green program is intended for those who have Optimist sailing experience, are comfortable sailing the boat solo, and want to continue learning the intricacies of Optimist sailing and how to race. Sailors should be between 7-12 years old, under 85 lbs., and less than 5' feet tall. Participation in the Light Green program is at the sole discretion of the Youth Sailing Director. The goal of our Light Green program is to develop and foster a love for racing on the Bay. Light Green is not a learn-to-sail program. Learn to sail programs are offered during the Summer only.
The group will focus on becoming well-rounded skippers, developing the essential skills necessary to advance into our Green Fleet Race program. The program is designed to have regular practice attendance, focused preparation, and drill-style practices. Each sailor will be taught general rigging, boat balance, sail trim, elementary racing rules and basic race strategy. There will be a regatta at the last day of the session.
As a participant in our Light Green program, you are NOT required to own your own equipment (boat, sail, rig). Each sailor will use SFYC club equipment during the program. However, all participants are required to have adequate gear to wear on the water, including a US Coast Guard approved lifejacket.
- PREREQUISITE: Sailors must have previous Optimist sailing experience, i.e. Summer Optimist 1, 2, or 3
- DAYS: Saturday and Sunday
- TIMES: 9am-2:30pm
- SFYC Members $700
- Non-Members $750
- Rules and Procedures - Updated Sept 3
- Financial assistance for Fall available from Belvedere Cove Foundation
What To Bring/What To Wear
- US Coast Guard approved PFD (lifejacket)
- Sailing booties or closed-toed shoes (soft-soled and able to get wet)
- Water bottle
- Non-cotton moisture-wicking clothing
- Sunscreen (SPF 30+)
- Complete change of clothes
- Fleece garments, wetsuits, and foul weather gear (spray top and spray pants)*
*required for cool weather, rain and wind protection.
- West Marine (Marin City)
- Svendsen's Marine (Alameda)
- West Coast Sailing www.westcoastsailing.net
- Annapolis Performance Sailing (APS) apsltd.com
IMPORTANT: WRITE YOUR NAME ON ALL YOUR GEAR!
It is a good idea to have a bag to keep all of your belongings together.